Last week Aleteia‘s Larry Peterson broke the story that there actually is a Saint Corona (a 2nd century virgin and martyr), that her relics are in the basilica of the town of Anzu (in the middle of the Italian Coronavirus pandemic, it turns out), and that–get this–she is invoked in Bavaria and other parts of Italy against pandemics.
To honor this singular saint (and to have something to do while we are all holed up), we are sponsoring a Cocktail Contest. Here are the rules:
- Like and follow the Drinking with the Saints Facebook page and spread the word with like-minded pious tipplers.
- Come up with a cocktail to honor St. Corona. It can either be something that you have discovered or something you have invented. You cannot rename a preexisting cocktail and submit it, however, unless you have also altered the recipe enough to make it your own invention. How much is enough? We follow the one-third rule: if one-third the original recipe is no longer the same, it is a new creation.
- Once you have your cocktail idea, post it on our Facebook page.
- The winning cocktail will be the one that most appropriately honors Saint Corona and tastes great.
- The winning cocktail will be determined by a super-secret (and self-isolated!) test-tasting panel of committed drinkers.
- The winner will be announced live during a Virtual Holy Happy Hour on Palm Sunday, April 5, from 5 pm CST to 6 pm to which all are invited! (Details TBA).
- The winner will receive a free signed and personalized copy of Drinking with Your Patron Saints and a handsome Drinking with the Saints apron (total retail value of $55). Free stuff in the mail!